Earlier this month, Worlds Against Toys Causing Harm, Inc. (WATCH) released its list of the 10 Worst Toys of the 2018 holiday season to prevent consumers from purchasing potentially hazardous toys for children. The non-profit organization has been warning the public for over 40 years about dangerous child products in an effort to reduce injuries to kids.
Unfortunately, toys which cause harm continue to be available in stores and online year after year. Common dangers include small parts, stiff materials, toxic chemicals, projectiles, strings, and inadequate warnings.
The following are the ten most dangerous toys to avoid buying a child this holiday season:
- Marvel Black Panther Slash Claw – Based on the movie and comic book hero, these hard plastic claws can cause facial and eye injuries, despite the product’s warning not to “slash” like the King of Wakanda.
- Nickelodeon Nella Princess Knight Pillow Pets Sleeptime – Advertised as a nightlight-type toy for infants, this product can potentially cause battery acid leaks. Additionally, the accessories on the toy can be removed and become a choking hazard.
- Cabbage Patch Kids Dance Time Doll – Marketed to children ages two and above, the headband is worn by the doll can be removed and present itself as a choking and ingestion hazard.
- Power Rangers Super Ninja Steel Superstar Blade – This toy sword is equipped with a spring-loaded plastic blade. Despite warnings not to use it as a weapon against anyone, swinging the sword can result in blunt force trauma, as well as facial and eye injuries.
- Stomp Rocket Ultra Rocket – In order to launch the rocket up to 200 ft. in the air, children ages six and up are encouraged to run, jump, and then land on the apparatus which propels the rockets. But if the toy is aimed at the eyes or face, launching a rocket can result in serious injuries.
- Chien Á Promener Pull Along Dog – The cord attached to this pull toy is 19 inches in length, despite the industry requirement of strings to be less than 12 inches. Long strings can potentially result in strangulation and entanglement.
- NICI Wonderland Doll: Miniclara The Ballerina – Recommended to children ages two and above, this doll comes with an accessory in the form of a small kitten. Once detached, this accessory can pose as a choking hazard.
- Nerf Vortex VTX Praxis Blaster – This pump-action toy gun can shoot up to 10 discs consecutively. However, these projectiles can cause facial and eye injuries when fired at other individuals.
- Zoo Jamz Xylophone – Marketed to infants as young as one and half years of age, the drumstick handle—which is nine inches long—can be mouthed by babies, potentially blocking their airway. There are no warnings regarding this hazard.
- Cutting Fruit – The knife-like toy that comes with this product is used to cut magnetic fruits in half, but can also cause blunt force trauma and puncture injuries.
At Eliot Reiner, APLC, we hope this list can keep children injury-free, so they can enjoy the holiday season without having to worry about the potential harm of certain toys. If your child has suffered an injury caused by a dangerous or defective toy, our Sacramento personal injury attorney can help you and your family recover your entitled compensation.